Thursday, October 2, 2008

Great Debates in Fantasy Football: Who Has More Value, Kevin Smith or DeAngelo Williams?

At 11:51 a.m., news broke that Marble Ryan had traded DeAngelo Willians to Steve Stevens in exchange for Kevin Smith. Sure, players like these aren't the biggest names around, but often it's trades like this that can determine a fantasy championship.

So, who got the better end of the deal? Both parties and a few other league members weigh in on the transaction. Note that Steve Stevens owned Jonathan Stewart prior to the trade.

Marble Ryan: I'm pretty bullish on my Deuce acquisition and I still have faith in Selvin Young with Dre Hall clearly playing his way out of touches. DeAngelo was essentially my fifth RB, and he hasn't looked very good. I know Smith is garbage, too, but he has some upside as Rudi is not going to last long as the starter. I don't mind having a high risk guy as my fifth RB. DeAngelo's value will continue to drop each week, and Rudi could easily go down this Sunday, so there was some urgency.

I understand fully the problems with Smith. I liked, however, that he is reacting angrily to being benched – he's motivated to win his job back. And if you want to talk about garbage, Rudi is as bad as it gets at the RB position. He'll be out of the mix in due time, I suspect.

Steve Stevens: They're two lame duck running backs, but I think Smith is more lame than DeAngelo. Even if Smith wins back the starting job, the Lions schedule is just too tough. They play the Bears (twice), the Vikings, and a few other tough Ds like the Titans. DeAngelo's biggest attribute is that he's not Kevin Smith. There's not a ton of upside, though, unless Jonathan Stewart gets hurt. For me, the trade was more about Carolina RB insurance. Detroit's running situation is horrific. I'm definitely cutting bait while I can.

Michael J. Cox: It looks like Marble Ryan is starting to enter terrible trade mode early this year. It's not a good trade. It's not amazingly bad or anything because of the mediocrity of the players involved, but DeAngelo Williams is a starter, Kevin Smith is not, and Carolina is the better team.

Mr. T: If you think Smith sucks and that DeAngelo has more value right now, doesn't that mean you're getting the less in the deal? Couldn't you have found a small upgrade elsewhere? You could've sold it harder as insuring the Carolina RB situation. Smith's value couldn't be any lower right now.

Marble Ryan: I know Kevin Smiff's value is low right now, but Kellen Winslow was seriously the only upgrade I could've gotten from Steve's team, and he was out of my reach. Steve's team is terrible. DeAngelo was just hangin' from a string for me, so I thought I'd upgrade to some upside. It's a gamble on my part, I know, but one worth taking, with Deuce, Selvin, and Chris "Gaylord" Perry. Perry had a bad game last week, but it happens to everyone. Marion Barber had 2 points last week – these things happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to trivialize since I can see that everyone in the league has spent plenty of time both pondering and discussing this trade... but to call Kevin Smith v. DeAngelo Williams a "Great Debate" of any kind is a bit of a farse. They both pretty much bite. But I think you mentioned that fact in the first paragraph. Funny that there were so many more after that.