Friday, October 3, 2008

The Marble Ryan Lock of the Week

As we all sit helplessly watching our 401Ks fall swiftly to zero, we should take solace in the one marketplace that still has rewards to shower over us: Vegas, baby! I must say, even with the Lock of the Week (as well as Wo Ai Beijing) at a relatively unimpressive 2-2, I'm enjoying this season immensely so far. Of course, my good cheer of late probably has to do with the fact that the Lock is coming off a positive result; should I fall to 2-3 against my bookman, you might find me slightly more concerned in next week's column over the fact that I, my family, and everyone in this country is going broke. And, if the two trades I made in the RGIOQB Lig don't work out for me, you probably won't find a column at all; the only thing on my computer will be an electronic receipt for the Anarchist's Cookbook and directions to Willis McGahee's house. For now, though, I'm feeling good and ready to lay a little parlay action right over your domes, people.

As a Peyton Manning owner, I've been as unimpressed as any with his play so far this year, and probably more so. I figured that after Brady's monster year in 2007, Manning would come back angry and ready to reclaim his title as the world's best quarterback. A knee surgery derailed this mission even before it started, however, causing him to miss the entire preseason and depriving him of his normal legendary level of preparation. I suspect that the Week 4 bye effectively solved that problem, though, and after two weeks of relentless studying and playing catch, Peyton is ready to start throwing TDs like there's no tomorrow.

Moreover, Houston's pathetic defense is the perfect rebound matchup, particularly when you consider that Manning's record against the Texans is somewhere in the region of 58-1. For the Colts to be favored by only 2.5 points – even in Houston – is a slap in the face from the football nerds in the desert and enough to make Manning, the third funniest man in the NFL behind Clinton Portis and Herm Edwards, temporarily forget his sense of humor. Take the Colts and that ridiculous 2.5 point line and tell the FDIC to keep their money for another week, as you've got a little extra scratch coming your way. And if you really want to get feisty, go ahead and take that 47 point over, too – Steve Slaton should run wild over the Colts with Bob Sanders out, and with Peyton looking for blood, that 47 could be dust by halftime.

The pick: Indianapolis -2.5 over HOUSTON and Over 47

2 comments:

Mr. T said...

Who remembers the days when the Colts were favored by 15 points playing in Houston??? I'm on board!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't call this a lock by any means, with Bob Sanders out and Manning playing scared these days. Slaton and Schaub are going to dismantle the Colts swiss cheese D. What about Dallas and Cincy?