Tuesday, September 2, 2008

RGFL 2008 Draft Review: The Lig Strikes Back

Mr. T couldn’t simply make his team the co-favorite to win it all without hearing it from the rest of us. Read below to see what transpired over email after he circulated his “objective” draft review. As you can see, things got a little personal between Mr. T and Michael J. Cox toward the end. Enjoy.

Black Irish (10:13 a.m.): A shocking revelation – the guy who made the odds picked his team as a co-favorite to win it all. I’m floored.

Mr. T (10:14 a.m.): I produce results, my friend: 6 teams last year, 5 playoff berths. There’s no reason I shouldn’t be co-favorite. And the people agree:

SteveStevensCanes: i dig your team
RoxetteHoover: you have a good team too
CCWriterSupreme: solid draft for you
HockeyRob: I like that squad a lot.

Michael J. Cox (10:22 a.m.): Touting Roxette’s opinion of your fantasy team, eh? Was Michelle Tafoya unavailable?

Mr. T (10:23 a.m.): Stephania Bell wouldn’t return my calls…

Torry Hallelujah (10:35 a.m.): Decent squad, but I’m put him at no better than 7-1 given the QB weakness. And the fact is, he could’ve drafted Garbage Johnson with his first round pick — he still would’ve put himself at 5-1.

Black Irish (10:39 a.m.): Yeah, Matt Schaub is really going to lead the A-Team to the promised land. Nice.

Steve Stevens (10:40 a.m.): I wouldn’t sleep on Matt Schaub this year. Top 10 fantasy QB for ‘08, book it. I think The A-Team’s RB situation is a little rough, though – I can see Jamal Lewis and Portis starting the older RB tailspin this year.

Mr. T (10:40 a.m.): I’d like to point out Yahoo’s scoring projection for Week 1:
The A-Team 109, Full Retard 88
See you on the field big guy. Tell Chia Garcheeea I’m waiting for him.

Michael J. Cox (10:45 a.m.): I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I’m ready to pack it in and just hand Mr. T the money right now. Between Roxette’s analysis and Yahoo’s Week 1 score projection, I think it’s pretty clear we’re all pretty much playing for second at this point. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Mr. T (10:46 a.m.): Sorry, I can’t hear you guys – my championship ring is blocking out all the outside noise.

Michael J. Cox (10:51 a.m.): That’s good, because we’re all still laughing about your last place finish 2 years ago. Wouldn’t want you to hear that. Might hurt your feelings.

Mr. T (10:52 a.m.): I’m pretty sure it’s more profitable to finish first and last in alternating years than in the middle of the pack two years in a row. Maybe you can do the math for me. Or maybe we can have your boy Kevin Curtis do it – he’s got a lot of free time on his hands right now. (ed: Michael J. Cox drafted Kevin Curtis in the 9th round of the Rex Grossman Fantasy League draft. Curtis is out indefinitely after undergoing surgery to treat a sports hernia.)

Michael J. Cox (10:59 a.m.): Yes, unfortunately my employer expects more than 15 minutes worth of work from me each week, so staying up to date on the injury status of the likes of Kevin Curtis is sometimes difficult. And thankfully I’m not relying on fantasy football for profitability, but then again I’m also not on the 20-year plan to become a GM.

Mr. T (11:00 a.m.): What about Steve Stevens? His to-do list is as long as a BBC, but he knew that Kevin Curtis was injured. What’s your jab at him?

Michael J. Cox (11:07 a.m.): My familiarity with both Steve’s to-do list and BBCs is pretty low, so it’s hard to comment on that one, but all these shots I’m taking for poor draft preparation really hurt! I’m sure glad I don’t play in 8 leagues like some of the real fantasy douches out there, or else I’d be in pretty bad shape over this.

Mr. T (11:08 a.m.): You’re wasting a lot of time talking smack for a guy who claims he doesn’t care that much about fantasy football...

Michael J. Cox (11:09 a.m.): Who said you have to be obsessed with fantasy football to talk smack about it? Isn’t that the whole point?

2 comments:

Marble Ryan said...

Taking another look at our draft, and it's really scary how lucky you are Mr. T - the best pick in the draft, hands down, was torry holt in round 5...that's an unbelievable steal...did you guys know that holt is the nfl all-time leader in receiving yards per game? I hate you Mr. T.

Mr. T said...

everyone says he had a bad year last year and he still went for 90 grabs. how is that a bad year?