Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wednesday Afternoon Quarterback: Ten Things Peter King Thinks He Thinks

1. I drove out to the Jets practice facility last week to toss the ball around a little with Brett Favre. He’d showered and changed already, and was wearing a weathered pair of Wranglers and a t-shirt that hugged his rugged, masculine frame. The staff had shut off a few of the lights, but still his stubble glinted in the glow of … Sorry, I need to remember I'm a married man.

2. Spoke with Darren McFadden over Skype last week. He said, “Hello? Yo Pete, are you there? What’s going on here, man? All I hear is static. Aw man, fuck this shit, I’m outta here.” Catch up with you soon, D-Mac!

3. You know I’m not the biggest fantasy nut, but I have to tell you, pick up Adrian Peterson. Now. This kid’s going to be a star!

4. Wow, what an episode of House last week! It never fails to amaze me how every week, they can come up with a medical emergency that’s so compelling – and then resolve it all in the same episode! Also, I can’t wait to finally see this “24” show that everyone is talking about. The last I saw Kiefer Sutherland, he was starring in Stand By Me.

5. Enjoyable/Aggravating Travel Note of the Week: I found myself in Lambert-St. Louis International Airport on the 16th connecting flight of a 20-leg trip. At first, they directed me to Gate 25. Then, they changed it to Gate 24 – which, you would think, would be right next to Gate 25 and not, as it turned out, on the other side of the airport. Then they changed it back to Gate 11, which was right next to Gate 25! What kind of crazy world do we live in! It’s almost enough to make me wish I didn’t travel 356 days a year.

6. Looks like I got the numbers on that Kawika Mitchell contract wrong. If he plays in 17.5% of all third down snaps this season, he will receive a bonus of $145,000, not $135,000, as I stated in last week’s column. Additionally, he plays for the Buffalo Bills, not the Cincinnati Bengals. Sorry about that!

7. Coffeenerdness: At a Starbucks on I-70 in Ohio last week, I stood in line behind a portly woman with blonde, bushy hair. When she approached the counter, she ordered a double whip latte with skim milk. When she tasted her coffee, she handed it back to the barista, saying, “This doesn’t taste like skim milk to me!” Come on, people! What’s the point of ordered a latte with skim milk if you’re going to get double whip cream with it? I think everyone in this country has gone mad sometimes.

8. Who’s excited for Thanksgiving? Maybe I’ll get to see my wife this year. Sometimes, I forget what she looks like.

9. It’s been an honor and a pleasure, Calvin Hanabury. I wish you the best in all your projects, personal and professional.

10. I am lonely. So lonely.

No comments: